Template Mouth-watering Sprites by EZwpthemes from bTemplates. Powered by Blogger.
RSS

[Review] Holy Grail Face Powder: Make Over Silky Smooth Translucent Powder

Let's start with the most staple one: Face Powder.

I don't like loose powder in the past. I mean, I know that loose powder is less vicious for troubled skin than pressed or two way cakes, but it's impractical travel-wise. I have to open the cap carefully or I'll look like I vomit beige-colour powder all over the place.

Before I switched to Make Over face powder, I used NYX Stay Mate But Not Flat Powder Foundation (damn forgot the tone. It's either Natural or Soft Beige) and I must say, this is the best powder foundation/pressed powder I've ever tried. (Note that I haven't tried other high-end cosmetics due to the limitation of money). Like, it's everything I asked for in a pressed powder. Smooth, light, good coverage but not cakey or clogged or--I don't know, mask-ey or something? There's only one downside, though. It was too soft that the cake is easily to crack and broken, and ran out far too fast than I normally have. (okay okay, two downsides). Not even 5 months and I already need to repurchase.

NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation. Not my picture. Threw the empty case loong long ago.


I know, I know, make ups supposedly not being used for too long after opening. Ideally even, maximum is 12 months after opening. But less than 5 months for a pretty expensive face powder is too much for me. I mean I still have other things to purchase, y'know, and the money's limited. So with much hesitation, I went to a journey to find its replacement.

(please allow this aspiring writer to sometimes use poetic sentences)

I've heard Make Over brand long ago, and based on the reviews, I deducted that the quality is not that far from NYX. Only, it's local brand and is easier to acquire. There's a pretty big Make Over outlet at PVJ, close to my current place, but y'know, being a bundles of awkward introverted nerves I am, it's difficult to enter a comparably quiet store. Especially when you know the SA will follow you and recommend this and that and such but you know you won't buy anything because you don't have the money. So I never visit the store and actually swatched by myself.

Make Over Silky Smooth Translucent Powder in Porcelain (01).


Well long story short, finally bought the face powder and I fell in love instantly.

Since my crappy camera won't do the justice--image from the website
PROS:

It came in a nice sleek elegant and sturdy pot packaging, not too small and not too bulky, with enough amount of powder. Tbh, the amount of powder I'd get for the price is the first thing that made me decided to pick this lololol. I mean for IDR 120-ish, you sure want something that goes a long way. The screwcap isn't loosening even after more than a year. The minimalist brand typography over black background gives the image of quality and professionalism.


Yes, it came with a sponge powder puff, but mine's broken since long ago and I used powder brush ever since. The puff is soft and kinda cotton-y surface and soft to the skin. However, I noticed that using powder brush spread the powder more evenly and gives better finish look.


The powder texture is so soft, silky, doesn't left any chalky or powdery or big particle residue on my skin, as if it's not there but you know it's there because it improves my skin complexion and made it less shiny (being the 'muka kilang minyak' I am...) Among the available 4 shades (01 Porcelain, 02 Rosy, 03 Champagne and 04 Toffee) The Shop Assistant recommended shade no. 01. It's the fairest shades.

At times, when my face skin tone is getting darker, it feels like the shade is too fair but once I apply, it doesn't look that way. The powder is indeed sheer and translucent (and honestly, doesn't give much coverage for flaws) but it does give better balance and improves overall complexion to my face. It's also light and spread easily, a little goes a long way. It's been more than one year and despite the daily usage, I still have, like, 1/4? 1/5? left.

... yeah. That much left.
CONS:

Well, to be fair, the downside isn't really from the brand or product, but rather, the typical loose powder downside. Since it's powder, of course, traveling is a bit of a hassle. The thick packaging can't be inserted into small/thin clutch, just like how the compact or TWC can be. You also have to be careful when opening otherwise there'll be powder covering everywhere.

Having a super oily skin I am, and living in a country with hot humid tropical climate all year, the powder doesn't stay long. Sure, my make up was still there because I use BB Cream and such, but after, like, 3-4 hours, the shine comes back. And if I don't blot, I'll look like I smother my face with cooking oil and that's disgusting. Gotta reapply after like 3-4 hours, however, it's quite a challenge when I'm out and can't bring the powder anywhere or open it anywhere freely because it'll be messy.

So yeah. Hypothetically in an ideal universe, I'll have loose powder for home usage and pressed powder for traveling, but being a mere student with limited allowance I am, that won't ever happen until at least I'm working with steady income.

Will I buy it again? In the case that I haven't found any product with lower price and better quality, then, yes, I will continue to use Make Over Face Powder and will surely repurchase--later, when this one's finished lol.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: